Skip to main content

Kansas Import Regulations

Last Updated: June 5th, 2018

! Important Notice !

Aquaculturists transporting or selling aquatic animals are responsible for following current regulations required by each state in which the activity occurs (selling or transporting) and are advised to contact state regulatory agencies responsible for permitting these activities.

State Aquaculture Regulatory Authorities  

Kansas Department Wildlife and Parks: 

Brett Houdyshell
State Aquaculture Coordinator
Fish Trade Coordinator
Kansas Department Wildlife and Parks
(620) 672-0810

Kansas Department of Agriculture:

Lead agency for aquaculture development activities in Kansas

State Fish Health Authorities / Laboratories –

Randy Nelson
Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks

Dr. Carolyn Sutton
USDA Aquatic Veterinarian

No laboratories available for fish health diagnostics.

Aquaculture Industry Contacts

Kansas Aquaculture Association


Charles Lee, Wildlife Specialist
Kansas State University Extension
Call Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506
Tel: 785-532-5734

Kansas Aquaculture and Baitfish Regulation Summary

Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks has principle regulatory control over the aquaculture and baitfish industries in the State.  Importation permits and aquaculture licenses are not required for species native or naturalized to the State unless the species is listed on the prohibited species list.  A commercial fish bait permit is required for harvest, sale or purchase for re-sale of specific live aquatic animals used for bait (see commercial fish bait section below). A comprehensive list of Kansas regulations regarding fish and turtles can be found within the KA Wildlife Parks and Tourism website:

Kansas Wildlife and Parks Regulatory Authority

Importation and possession of aquatic animals

Importation requirements for the state of Kansas are found in 115-18-10.

Wildlife import permits are required only for prohibited species. Each individual desiring to import or possess live members of the wildlife species listed in subsection (a) (KA prohibited species list) shall apply to the secretary for a wildlife importation permit.

Prohibited species list

See 115-18-10.

Private water fishing impoundment; exemptions. 32-974.  

The owner or tenant having possession and control of a private water fishing impoundment and desiring to use it for the propagation or raising of fish for private use or to be sold or used commercially may do so without securing or holding any state license, permit or stamp and without being limited as to numbers, time or manner of taking fish from such impoundment.

Commercial sale of fish bait. 115-17-2  (excerpts).

Wildlife including live fish, crustaceans, amphibians, and insects may be commercially sold in Kansas for fishing bait only if these species are native to, or naturalized, to the State of Kansas.  Live annelids may be sold for bait if native to or naturalized in the continental United States.  For additional information see "115-17-2 Commercial Sale of Fish Bait" at:

Commercial fish bait permit. 115-17-3; requirement, application, and general provisions (excerpt).

A commercial fish bait permit shall be required for the harvest, sale, or purchase for resale of fish bait, except a commercial fish bait permit shall not be required for the harvest or sale of crayfish harvested in this state, for the harvest or sale of annelids or insects, or for the purchase of annelids or insects for resale.  For additional information see "115-17-03 Commercial Fish Bait Permit" at:

Commercial mussel dealer permit;

Permit application and requirements, authority, reports, general provisions, and permit revocation. 115-17-14 (excerpt).  (a) Each person desiring to purchase or import wild mussels for resale, for export from the state, or for any other commercial use shall make application to the secretary for a commercial mussel dealer permit.  For additional information see 115-17-14 Commercial Mussel Dealer Permit.